Sunday, August 30, 2009


Project Pwnage Sauce
Aka The Pwnage sauce project.

Let me start by explaining the exact reason for creating this blog.
I have a 12 year old son who is a self proclaimed genius and he knows that he can design his own video game and people will want to play. So the bottom line is we must create this next great PC game. So I'm going to log the project progress here.
So yes my 12 year old son and I are making a PC game. I think this will be a great learning experience for him so I decided to document the process for prosperity. Why a blog to document this design project? Well the word blog is a contraction of "web log"; a phrase not so commonly used these days so it seemed as good a place as any. Besides, I’m sure there’s at least one or two other techies like me that would find this somewhat interesting if not informative or even entertaining.
So that there there are no misconceptions let’s address what I feel are a few key points:

  • I have 20+ years of professional IT experience - I do not and have not ever worked in the gaming industry.

  • I have a general knowledge of 2 programming languages but I would not call myself a programmer by any measure.

  • I am a Certified “geek”, “techie”, call it what you want nowadays, since the late 80’s but I am no subject matter expert when it comes to games or gaming. I’m just another opinionated old school gamer.

We've been here before. I've always been the type of father that tried to encourage my
childrens interest so there's an extensive list of project my sons and I have done together. So the first time Darkschild wanted to create a game my initial response was of course you do son. So just like all other projects I wait to see how long this one would hold his interest. So yes, he bugged the hell out of me every day for 2 months until I eventually gave in and we purchased the Torque Game Engine V1.4.2 which looked to be a pretty easy to learn and considerably priced gaming engine. We worked on it for a little over a year and made multiple solid portions of a game but his interest turned to school activities and I didn't have the time to complete the project so that was that.
Now recently he has rekindled his desire to design at least 2 games and as he put it, "The time has given me the chance to fine tune my skills and see what’s out there now. I see what the gaming industry needs and what kids my age play. The gaming industry needs me." Who am I to argue, between the PC, Xbox and anything else he gets his hands on he stays online more than I do these days and that’s part of my profession. With the shift in the economy and job market a lot of my skills are getting rusty. So the project manager in me came out and it was time to hit to get to work. Maybe now that he’s a whopping 12 years old he's mature enough to stay focused and complete a project that he seems serious about. I almost believed that for a second, this is going to be a fun ride.
So I give you Project Pwnage Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment