Monday, November 9, 2009

Change is good. Isn't it?

I know it’s been a month since our last post and I do apologize for that but we have been steadily moving forward. Aside from a little downtime due to illness each week has been a little more productive then the prior. At a high level, we now have our initial map completed which contains 8 city blocks, roads, 50 interiors/buildings and some miscellaneous items such as trash cans, fire hydrants and street signs complete with textures, everything needed to make a true urban environment. We also have successfully implemented code to produce different types of bullet holes depending on the type of object or material being shot. So yes, we have been busy.


And just when I thought I was ready to upload some new screenshots and update our progress a good friend decided to share the following link with me.
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/udk.html
(Unreal® Development Kit is the free version of the award-winning Unreal® Engine 3)


It seems that the Unreal Development Kit (UDK) is now a free resource. I have made a few Unreal maps in the past and like most I’ve always loved the engines capabilities but to design our game using the Unreal 3 engine at no cost is more then I could hope for. As I read over the list of the tools included within the kit and the initial documentation I am leaning more and more towards restarting our project using the Unreal 3 engine. So we now have a sub-project, to recreate the basic functionality of our existing game using the Unreal Development Kit (UDK) with a hard timeline of 1 week max. If this can be accomplished we will definitely head down the Unreal road.


Screen shots and more detail of the sub- project coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment